Marketing Master Profile for Copyblogger. What’s This?
Copyblogger is one of my favorite content marketing blogs. Their manifesto exactly matches the results I want to get from my own content marketing efforts:
Copyblogger has been teaching people how to create killer online content. Not bland corporate crap created to fill up a company webpage. Valuable information that attracts attention, drives traffic, and builds your business.
And teach they do–lots of great information available on their blog. But how do they go about marketing themselves?
Let’s take a look at their profile numbers:
- Ranked number 5 among the Top 15 Marketing Masters, copyblogger has a solid 1.2 million visits a month.
- Their traffic sources match the average pretty closely. They get a bit more from Search and Referral that’s offset by a bit less from Social Media and Email.
- Copyblogger’s content quality metrics point to a lot of shorter articles as opposed to the epic uber guide style of articles favored by some of the others like Brian Dean. One of the important lessons to take away from the Top 15 Marketing Masters is that there is no single strategy that works–there are many.
- In terms of SEO, let’s start with domain authority and backlinks. Copyblogger scores an above average 69 for domain authority. They do this by having garnered 4x the backlinks of the average Top 15 Marketing Master. That’s quite an accomplishment. With so many links, it’s clear a lot of them are relatively low quality, but their above average Visits / DR score tells us they have many high quality links too.
- As far as keywords, Copyblogger has miles wide coverage. They have 2.5x as many keywords as the average. Many of these are long-tail keywords, which drives down their traffic per keyword metric a bit below average, but that’s okay as their overall traffic is great.
- Social Media is a less-important part of copyblogger’s traffic mix, but it’s still interesting to check out their profile. They’re on par with Facebook and YouTube, way above average on Twitter, and they have essentially no presence on LinkedIn. OTOH, they have an unusually high “Other” number. It’d be interesting to understand better where that comes from.
All in all, Copyblogger, this is a great showing!
If you want to understand how to be a World-Class Marketer, you’ve got to study the Marketing Masters. We make that easy by compiling extensive research and presenting it to you in these Marketing Master Profiles. Periodically, we’ll also do cross-sectional research against the data to see what secrets it reveals. What are the common threads among Marketing Masters? What are key differences between Masters and the rest of the pack?
If you like this sort of thing, be sure to sign up for our weekly newsletter below.
If this article resonated and you'd like more just like it, sign up for our Entrepreneur's Newsletter. You'll receive a free mini-course Work Smarter and Get Things Done. It teaches you how to maximize your productivity so you can get everything you need to do for your business done. It even includes our free productivity software to get you organized, focused, and productive.